Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability.
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in home sales, financing, and rentals based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Federal fair housing law, which extends to Ohio, protects apartment dwellers' right to enjoy access to housing based on seven protected classes. They include:
- Familial Status (having a minimum of one child under the age of 18)
- National Origin
- Military Status
The City of Hamilton strives to promote and ensure equal housing opportunities to all City of Hamilton residents through its continued commitment to CDBG funding.
You may contact the City's Fair Housing Specialist at (513) 785-7024, with any tenant/landlord, fair housing related questions, or concerns to receive detailed information about fair housing services for the City.
- HUD Fair Housing
- City of Hamilton Assessment of Fair Housing 2016
- HUD Lead-based Paint Information
- Fair Housing Services Provider, Housing Opportunities Made Equal (H.O.M.E.)
- Fair housing information for persons with disabilities
- Fair Housing Guide for Landlord - Ohio Attorney General @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The City of Hamilton provides information and assistance to landlords, tenants, or interested individuals through the Neighborhood Development Division. Services provided include but are not limited to:
- Provide education to landlords, realtors, and tenants concerning Fair Housing laws.
- Conduct outreach and education through presentations and written information about fair housing rights and responsibilities.
- Provide tenants and landowners with assistance in the mediation process, escrow, and/or eviction processes.
- Provide fair housing testing to ensure landlord compliance with all Fair Housing laws.
Housing Opportunities Made Equal (H.O.M.E.) provides the City with assistance in providing services and information.
If you suspect you are being discriminated against in your search for housing or present housing situation you may call the City of Hamilton's Fair Housing Specialist at (513) 785-7024, or; Housing Opportunities Made Equal (H.O.M.E.) at (513) 721-4663, or; Fair Housing Enforcement Center, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Columbus, OH, (614) 469-5737.